Our research group is present at the EUDAT Semantic Working Group Workshop, 9th RDA Plenary, which is taking place in Barcelona 3-4 April 2017. Our presentation about Dendro, our research data description platform, and its integration in the research workflow, is here (CLICK to download):
In the first session, we also had presentations about:
- BioPortal, a portal for the discovery and description of biomedical ontologies
- The EBI OLS Ontology Lookup Service which is “a repository for biomedical ontologies that aims to provide a single point of access to the latest ontology versions”
- The Linked Open Vocabularies platform, a platform for sharing ontologies online which includes all their past versions
- BioSharing, a “curated, informative and educational resource on inter-related data standards, databases, and policies in the life, environmental and biomedical sciences”.
- AgroPortal, an ontology deposit, discovery and description portal for agronomic ontologies.
In the second session, we had:
- Europeana, who presented entity discovery capabilities. This provides better search, allowing semantic auto-completion of entities for example.
- DTL‘s FAIRifier and other open-source tools for making data more FAIR (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, Reproducible). FAIRifier transforms data into RDF, FAIR Data Point holds it after it is transformed so that it can be found, ORKA allows it to be described, and the FAIR Search Engine allows users to retrieve the annotated datasets. Currently, these solutions support OAI-PMH through B2FIND, Schema.org, and FAIR Data Point.
- DataONE presented its approach based on EML, which allows for the annotation of the headers of a table to convey their exact meaning, for example. An ontology-based drill-down of search was particularly interesting. When querying for ‘tree’, the interface would allow the user to refine results by tree-related properties.
- Lifewatch, who presented its infrastructure for registering, annotating and publishing biodiversity records, in the context of the ENVRI Plus project.
Photo credits: @EUDAT https://twitter.com/Eudat_eu/status/848852481086038016